There was never any question as to whether my son would be a swimmer or not. I grew up going to a lake in New Hampshire every summer. I was also on the swim team when I was in high school.
I knew I wanted Dek to be as comfortable as possible around water, so he would have very few fears. I also wanted him to be very safe and understand that water can be fun, but is also dangerous.
When Dek was 4 months old, I signed us up for the Parent/Tot class through Waterbabies*. The main reason I chose this program is because of their class philosophy and skills covered, which included:
- Water safety/ Being welcomed into the pool by an adult
- Build from simple to more complex skills
- Apply the technique to the child, not the child to the technique*
- Breath control when underwater/ Don’t drink the entire pool
- Helping parents get over their own fears of water
As Dek and I head to New Hampshire tomorrow I am very excited. I will get the chance to share a piece of my childhood with him. We will also get in some extra swim time to practice all of the great skills he has learned.
Photo Credits: A special thanks to CeCe for taking some shots of Dek and I practicing our swim skills in the pool.