Introduce Your Family to Your Favorite Hometown Sight

Home / Destinations / USA / Washington / Introduce Your Family to Your Favorite Hometown Sight

Introduce Your Family to Your Favorite Hometown Sight

Dek and I go out exploring around the city of Seattle a lot during the week. This usually means that Mike misses out on our adventures as he slaves away at the office. Every once in a while I am able to convince Mike to forget about the list of endless weekend chores we have to do and drag him to some of our favorite spots around the city. Kubota Garden is one of those spots.

Although it had been many months since our last visit Dek still remembered quite a bit about this Japanese inspired park. He took his daddy over the red bridges, through winding trails, across small creeks with step stone bridges and into hidden caves created by trees just starting to show off their spring leaves. We even hiked up to the top of a waterfall and ran back down.

It was incredible sharing this moment with my husband. I know he misses out on a lot. He sees the pictures; he hears our stories. This time he got to join in on our local fun. Dek got to show his dad hidden passages and explore new sections of the park with him. I got to show off my favorite spot in the city.

What is your favorite hometown spot to show off to family members when they visit?

Are you inspired to explore? Sign up for an email subscription to keep up-to-date on all of our travel tips, destination reports, food favs and adventures. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Hop on over to Travel Photo Thursday for more inspiration to get out and see the world.

Keryn Means
Keryn Means
Keryn is the founder and editor-in-chief of Walking on Travels, an award-winning site that gives hope to today’s active parents who don’t want to stop their lives; they simply bring their kids along for the ride. Keryn utilizes her project management background, along with a masters degree in journalism and an undergrad degree in photography to the team to create dynamic content and a vision that keeps up with the latest technology and trends. You can find Keryn dragging her 2 boys around the DC area most days and across the globe several times a year. Follow along on their adventures on Instagram and Pinterest.
Recommended Posts
  • Lisa

The pics are gorgeous – I’m glad Mike got to visit the garden with you as well!

• Vera Marie Badertscher

These are gorgeous photos that lure me to visit–but I didn’t know what city you were in. After poking around a while, I finally found out.
    In Tucson, we take people to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum and to Tohono Chul Park, as well as Sabino Canyon–lots of outdoors to explore.

• © Keryn Means/ walkingon travels

Thanks so much for checking out the photos! I just added in that it is in Seattle. Sorry, this should have definitely been in the post!

• Vi

In the spring the gardens probably the best place to show for your guests in any town :)

P.S. Keryn, your links to FB page and Twitter are broken on the bottom of post.

• © Keryn Means/ walkingon travels

Whoops! Thanks for the heads up on the FB page and twitter. I got it fixed.

• jade

Love love love the reflection shot! the colors, the brightness, darkness- love. Also really nice to spend those moments with loved ones- esp. if they don’t get to explore that often.

• Easy Hiker

It’s amazing to find out that there are great stuff out there right by one’s doorstep. Before venturing out into the big wide world, get to know your own backyard first, is what I always say.

• InsideJourneys

Looks like this is one of Dek’s favorites!
    It is a beautiful park and I love that it’s so close.

• Nancie

What a gorgeous place! If I was home, then any of the places that I included in my Travel Photo Thursday post would be favorites, and the are many more :)

• sabrina

I can see why this is your favorite place. It’s beautiful!!

I too can see why you like these gardens so much. They are beautiful! I can imagine the peace you would feel wandering through this park.

• Bob R

Nice shots. For me it’s a similar destination, Ljubljana’s ‘central park’ Tivoli, with its gardens, hills, hiking paths and more.

• Leigh

What a beautiful place to visit, especially at this time of year. I also love your reflection shot.
    When I lived in Vancouver I loved going to the Nitobe Japanese gardens on the UBC campus. Now I’m inclined to take people for a very pleasant walk long the Elbow River in Calgary.

• Average Traveller

Cherry blossom season – great for us but terrible for whoever has to clean up the fallen petals. Thanks for the heads up – we’ll look for this the next time we’re in Seattle!

• Dick Jordan

Lovely. I can’t recall if I ever visited this park when I was growing up in Seattle.

How fun that Dek got to share this beautiful park with his dad! I love exploring my city (Salt Lake City)…I always find something new. Some of my favorite spots: Red Butte Gardens, hiking in Little Cottonwood Canyon, and the downtown oasis of Liberty Park. Great photos!