Friday Photo Memories – Passed Out On the North Shore of Kauai

Home / Activities / Beach / Friday Photo Memories – Passed Out On the North Shore of Kauai

Friday Photo Memories – Passed Out On the North Shore of Kauai

I have a lot of photos. That is putting it mildly. I’ve taken tens of thousands of photos since my dad first handed me a camera when I was 8 years old. For the rest of the summer, and maybe beyond, I’m going to dive into my archives and rediscover a few fun adventures I’ve taken over the years with and without my family. Just a little something to add some oomph to your Friday as you head into the weekend.

What is the first beach you ever slept on?

In honor of my recent guest post on Discover Hawaii I thought I would share the very first beach I ever fell asleep on. As a redhead I tend to avoid prolonged sun exposure, but the north shore beaches of Kauai were calling my name. After shooting a wedding all weekend my brain and my body were ready to relax. Little did I know that my life would change forever shortly after this trip…when I found out I was pregnant with Dek.

Be sure to check out more photos over at Delicious BabyR We There Yet Mom, and McDougall Photography, three fantastic sites you should be diving into a little more this summer.

Are you inspired to find exciting places to travel with your kids that you can enjoy too? Sign up to receive posts via email or RSS feed and keep up-to-date on all of our travel tips, destination reports, food favs and adventures. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

written by Keryn Means

Keryn Means
Keryn Means
Keryn is the founder and editor-in-chief of Walking on Travels, an award-winning site that gives hope to today’s active parents who don’t want to stop their lives; they simply bring their kids along for the ride. Keryn utilizes her project management background, along with a masters degree in journalism and an undergrad degree in photography to the team to create dynamic content and a vision that keeps up with the latest technology and trends. You can find Keryn dragging her 2 boys around the DC area most days and across the globe several times a year. Follow along on their adventures on Instagram and Pinterest.
Recommended Posts
  • Alex Bramwell

I first slept on Tulum Beach in Mexico with two friends. None of us came back pregnant though! From free to 50 dollars a night: Big changes down that way.

Your shots are fantastic!! I can’t wait to see more- excited about your Friday Photo series!!

Thanks for linking up!

• Vera Badertscher

Beautiful. I can hear the surf.

• Lisa

Great idea to share some of your older photos – you are a brilliant photographer! Love these shots from Kauai! I’m actually not sure that I have ever slept on a beach – I have to be pretty careful about getting burned too. I’m relieved that you just had a nap on the beach though because when I first read “What is the first beach you ever slept on?”, I thought you had spent the night on the beach! :)

• Kate

Love your photos, and fun to dig back into the archives–gets me super excited about our visit to Kauai in November! As a fellow redhead with freckles, I’m with you on limiting the sun exposure. It’s so hard though when you love the beach!

• © Keryn Means/ walkingon travels

I always laugh because we will come back from a beach vacation thinking I am super tan. When I see my friends they ask “didn’t you guys go to the beach? What happened? You are still so pasty white!” Yup. Life as a redhead for sure. My boys look like they will have the same problem. I should buy shares in sunscreen stock right now 😉

• Sonja

I grew up on the beach and slept there occasionally. Since then, we enjoy camping in Newport Beach, California.

• Steve

Just a quick qualifier here…is “passed out” the same thing as “slept on”? It’s an important distinction that brings numerous years of college into play here.

• © Keryn Means/ walkingon travels

Steve- I find it more entertaining to leave that one open ended 😉

• Charu

I recently became a new mom…my kid is barely three weeks old, and already I’m dreaming of taking her places. One of our first trips this year will be Hawaii I think, and your photo reminded me of the time we spend on Oahu and Maui for our honeymoon. Lovely shots!

• © Keryn Means/ walkingon travels

Congrats on being a new mom! Our first big trip was to Maui with my oldest when he was 5 months old. It was so much easier than I ever thought it would be. Too easy in fact :-)

• Camille

Beautiful photos!!

• Lisa Wood

Funny but I keep waiting to try sleeping on the beach yet my family is not keen! I reckon it would be cool for one night :)
    Love your photo…gorgeous. Fantastic spot to pass out on.

• Ruth

What stunning photos! It doesn’t surprise me at all that you’ve been a budding photographer from an early age. Though I only just returned home from a trip to Europe, these pictures have me itching to do some more traveling. I confess, I’ve never fallen asleep on a beach. What should be my first sleep beach? =)