5 Reasons I Love A Good Mother Son Dance
Dek and I have always loved doing a little mother son dancing around the house. Of course he’s gone through phases of when he will actually dance with me and when he just looks at me like I’m crazy. You can guess which happens more often.
Lately we have been in a dancing slump. When I was pregnant with Ty I couldn’t really carry Dek around and swing him about. This got Dek out of the habit so that when I was finally able to dance again he was having none of it.
So when Dek stopped me on the way out of the Ballard Seafood Fest this past weekend I was a bit confused. Wylie and the Wild West were up on stage belting out some country tunes. What did Dek want?
He wanted to dance. With me! I was more than happy to oblige.
Here’s why this mom loves dancing with her boy:
- Dancing with my son gets us both on our feet to do a little exercise
- He sees I’m not afraid to make a fool of myself for him and he shouldn’t be afraid to either.
- Gives him a little confidence to bring with him in life. He won’t just be relegated to the sidelines at school dances and weddings…unless he chooses to be.
- These early years are precious and going by way to fast. Very soon he will be much too cool to even acknowledge me let alone let me swing him around in public.
- This is our thing! He does so much with his dad, but his dad sure doesn’t dance.
My favorite moment of the night was when Dek actually looked me straight in the face and said, “no mommy like this” and changed our hand position so our fingers were locked like the other dancers.
Hopefully this wasn’t a one-off chase. I’d love to get a few more mother son moments to throw on some tunes and practice our dance moves.