Plane Food & Recipes
I loathe airplane food. It makes me gag just thinking about it. My one travel friend thinks I’m crazy to have to pack one more thing, but what are you going to do? I’ve come up with a few snacks and even meals that can easily travel on the plane with me. They are easy to make and don’t take up much space. Better yet, most are kid friendly as well.
- Banana Bread*
- Sugar- Free Strawberry Bread
- Prosciutto Sandwich
- Sun-dried Tomato Basil Pesto
- Quinoa Salad
How to keeping food refrigerated on a plane
- Take your child’s lunch pail or fridge bag
- Grab two plastic sandwich bags (Glad, Ziplock, etc.- something that can hold liquid)
- Put your food in the bag the night before you fly out
- At the airport, ask for 2 cups of ice from any vendor.
- Stick the ice in the 1st bag and then stick the 1st bag in the 2nd bag. Voila! Instant ice pack.
- Another great tip I just read in Budget Travel magazine: freeze grapes the night before and use it as an ice pack. You have cold food and an extra snack for the plane. No space wasted.
- If you did not grab some utensils from a vendor once you passed security, have no fear. If you pack a plastic baby spoon and fork, security will generally let these through. These are easy to pack and very handy while on the road. Moms and dads can use them to eat to when having a picnic lunch.
- Pack Your Own Food For Your Next Flight by Michelle Higgins/ NY Times (June 22, 2011)
*This page is a work in progress, so please excuse the missing recipes