We all deserve a little pampering and never more so than when we are pregnant. Sure traveling is a luxury in and of it self, but it can also be stressful. Finding ways to stay relaxed at home and on the road can make or break your holiday and even your week. Indulging yourself can be tough, but with a little practice I’m sure you can learn to let go and take advantage of a little pampering at your disposal. To help you get started here are a few tips I have learned over the last 9 months.
Before You Leave
- Get a cleaning service to scrub down the house before you leave so you can concentrate on packing. You can also have them come just before the baby is due to arrive so it is one less thing on your plate.
- Hire a babysitter to watch any other kids you might have so you can relax a bit while you fold laundry in front of the TV and get the bags packed
- Take time to get yourself a pedicure so your toes look pretty in the sand, or even hidden away in your snow boots.
- Head to the spa during your next vacation for a relaxing facial or massage.
- If you live in the Seattle area, Spa Week is happening right now. Snag a yourself a $50 spa deal and let the pampering begin. Spa week is happening throughout the country. Check your city for local deals.
When You Get Back
- Keep your travels going with a nice soak in the tub with a good book and huge glass of water.
- Grab that babysitter again to help you with the kids so you can unpack. Better yet have the hubby unpack and you take a nap.
- Take an extra day off upon your return to recover from your car, train, boat ride, or flight. If you crossed time zones this is extra important. It may seem like a luxury to waste a vacation day, but your body will need it.
- Get take out or food delivered upon your return. Who wants to cook the day they get back? Order enough for some leftovers too.
Let Yourself Be Spoiled
Even if you have no travel plans you can still soak up a little extra treatment. With only 2 weeks to go until my due date a few girlfriends surprised me with an afternoon of tea, sweets and presents at a hotel downtown. It was such a blessing to kick back and relax with my girlfriends before my life is turned upside down again.
Mike also regularly kicks me out of the house so I can get some time to myself. Anytime he hears about my friends doing something he encourages me to go. He doesn’t do this because he doesn’t want me around, he just recognizes that my “me” time is limited and a baby will soon be attached to me. He has forgone nights out with his guy friends, tickets to soccer games and days off snowboarding so he could be available to Dek and I as much as possible. His own world is about to change, but he is trying his best to spoil me when he can. He may not bring home flowers every week or shower me with compliments every day, but the man knows where I need a little pampering most and I have to give him credit.
How are you pampering yourself or letting others spoil you as you travel and await the arrival of your little one?
Check out the Pregnant Travels page for a little more on hitting the road in various ways with a little one on the way.
written by Keryn Means