Know before you go
- Silver Star BC is known for their fluffy champagne powder. Falling on your snowboard (in theory) won’t hurt as much and you won’t deal with the ice you often get in mountains to the west.
- Weather conditions can get tricky when driving to Silver Star, BC. Check weather and road conditions before you leave. When in doubt, stay home.
- The mountain is very family friendly, small, and an easy place to let your kids run around and play with new friends while you sit on the elevated walkways drinking a pint or sipping a hot coffee.
- Snow pants
- Winter coat
- Warm boots
- Ski or Snowboard (if you have them)
- Read more in our ski vacation packing list
- Warm layers
- Extra socks
- Arrive by air: The nearest airport is Kelowna. You will need to rent a car or take the shuttle up to Silver Star from there.
- Arrive by car: The drive from the Canadian border can take about 4 hours, depending on road conditions and weather. Snow chains are required when driving in winter. Hope, BC is your best bet for food and gas before you get to Kelowna.
Crossing the Canadian Border by Car
All non-Canadian residents will need a passport to enter Canada, even babies. U.S. residents can also enter with a Nexus card.
Chilcoot Lodge: Silver Star is not very big, so no matter where you stay you will be close to the action. Chilcoot Lodge is just off the main street, and therefore can be a little quieter than the hotels with restaurants and bars under them. The Lodge offers studio, one and two bedroom condos with full kitchens and a living/dining area. There is a laundry facility and two outdoor hot tubs in the building.
Star Kids Daycare: The Snowsports Adventure Centre provides daycare for children aged 18 months to 5 years. Children ages 3 to 5 years old can take a private ski lesson while at daycare. The daycare staff will get your child ready for their lesson and the ski instructor will pick your child up. Instructors leave notes with the daycare staff so parents know how their child is progressing on the slopes. Rentals are included in the cost of the private lesson.
Adventure Centre: Group ski and snowboard lessons are available for kids ages 4 through 12 for half or full day. Those needing a little extra attention can take a private lesson. Note: only kids ages 7 and up can take snowboard lessons at Silver Star.
Just for Adults: Get a private or group lesson from instructors who love to ski and board the mountain every day. There is no better place to learn than in the champagne powder on Silver Star. If you aren’t sure about your ability level, check their online chart or chat with a staff member at the ski school so you can get signed up for the lesson that is right for you. If downhill isn’t you thing, take a lesson with one of the nordic ski instructors. You will get one heck of a workout that will allow you to have a few more croissants from Bugaboos.
A lift ticket allows you access to more than 3000 acres of skiable terrain at Silver Star. All full day alpine lift tickets now provide you free upgrades that include Nordic, Tubing, Skating and Snowshoe trails!
- Season, One day and Multi-day passes: Unlimited access to Silver Star snowshoeing trails, Nordic trails, Tube Town Adventure Park and Brewer’s pond skating rink are included in all 2013/14 alpine season passes and all regular one day and multi-day alpine lift tickets.
- Tots 5 & under ski FREE. Please stop by the village ticket office for their free ticket. All skiers and snowboarders must have a valid lift ticket.
- Bugaboos Bakery Café: freshly baked goods and coffee. Grab a croissant, cinnamon bun and fresh orange juice for breakfast. Do not miss out on the brie sandwich for lunch.
- The Bulldog Grand Café: A great spot to grab a beer and the best burgers in town with the whole family.
- Long John’s Pub: Their grilled cheese and tomato soup will warm you up in no time. The staff is family-friendly and there are tables that can accommodate large groups.
- HB Pizza: Gluten-free pizza is available for those who need it, but the regular crust is pretty darn tasty as well. Build your own pizza or order one of their specialties to eat in (limited seating) or take back to your condo.
Things to do with kids
- Pinhead Bowling
- Indoor climbing wall
- Ice skating
- Nordic skiing
- Downhill Skiing
- Mini snowmobiles
Special Events and amenities
Nordic Camp: For over 25 years Sovereign Lake Nordic Centre and Silver Star Mountain Resort have been hosting Nordic Camp for all ages and skill levels. There are over 105km of trails to explore, coaches ready to help you perfect your technique, and some of the best snow in western Canada to get you started if you are ready to try nordic skiing for the first time.
Mountain Hosts: Volunteer guides give free daily tours departing from the village at 9:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Mountain Hosts offer their knowledge of the best runs, hidden treasures and easy access routes back to your ski-in/ski-out accommodation. It’s a great way to learn the mountain quickly with your family so you can conquer it in no time.