A Whole-Body Circuit Workout for Travelers
Fitting in a workout with a busy schedule at home can be tough for many of us, but when you are traveling – it can be even harder. Packed itineraries, long days and jet lag often interfere with our intentions when it comes to fitness and travel.
What if there was an app that could help you squeeze in a full body workout in the comfort of your own hotel room – without the need for any gym equipment? I had the chance to try out the new Remix Challenging Circuits app – developed by Remix Workouts founder France Marien. This circuit workout puts you in charge of your own workout, allowing users to choose from a collection of exercises to create a circuit workout that can be done in as little as 30 minutes.
I don’t know about you, but strength training (despite knowing how important it is) still ranks at the bottom of my favorite physical activities. I would much rather go for a run then pick up a dumbbell or cozy up to a weight machine. So when I find workouts that incorporate strength training without needing equipment, my heart goes pitter-patter at the idea of tricking myself into a whole-body workout.
The Remix Challenging Circuits app allows you to customize your workout, choosing nine exercises, the duration of each “work” phase and of course – the length of rest in between each exercise. The reminder by France Marien that “You are the boss of your own body” helps keep you honest when selecting between the diverse assortment of exercises (instead of relying on all of your old favorites). (Yes. I have been known to only choose my preferred exercises, until now.)
What I loved about the Remix Challenging Circuit workout:
- The routine begins with a dynamic warmup for the entire body
- Most of the exercises incorporate multiple body parts which I always appreciate when I am short on time
- The workout can be done anywhere – even in hotel rooms
- The circuit can be completed using only your body weight (although there are some moves that you can add resistance with a dumbbell or a filled water bottle)
Who will love this app:
- Anyone who loves a whole-body circuit workout but does not enjoy choosing the exercises or sequence
- Those that are new to strength training but need to squeeze in a workout while traveling
- Travelers that are short on time but do not want to give up on their fitness goals
- Family travelers that cannot leave young children in the room to get away to the hotel fitness center
- Anyone who appreciates choice and versatility (there are over 140,000 variations thanks to the extensive variety of exercises)
Typically, I love having a great soundtrack or something beautiful to look at to help motivate me while I am working out. Although the backdrop for the Remix Challenging Circuits lacks in wow factor (and the only sound is that of the instructor offering cues), you can take the app anywhere (like a beach – or maybe a terrace overlooking a mountain) using the landscape or your own favorite playlist as motivation.
The Remix Challenging Circuits app is available as an app ($1.99) on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play as well as both PC and Mac computers ($18.99).
Elena Sonnino spent twelve years teaching children to chase their dreams before finally taking her own advice. She is a wellness and travel writer, digital media strategist, runner and cancer survivor. Elena writes about finding everyday wellness in far-flung lands and her own backyard at LiveDoGrow.com from her balance-ball-desk-chair in the Washington DC suburbs.
Many thanks to Remix for sending us a copy of their Challenging Circuits app. As always, my opinions are my own and that of the gang at Walking On Travels; when they aren’t you will be the first to know.