Father-daughter dates are becoming increasingly popular, and I for one, feel this new trend is just precious! Why not celebrate the unconditional love between a father and his daughter by spending some one-on-one time and taking a break from the daily grind? With Valentine’s Day rapidly approaching, I couldn’t help but correlate the once a year, pink-and-white-and-red-all-over holiday with daddy-daughter dates. No matter what type of little girl you have at home, there’s a style and theme for a father-daughter date that will fit her to a tee.
Table of Contents
Father Daughter Date Ideas
For the Princess
My daughter fell into this category when she was a tiny tot. I was hard-pressed to get her to leave the house without a tiara or Disney princess costume on. Here’s some fun father daughter date ideas– princess-style.
- A princess would not be complete without her prince. Make a dinner reservation at her favorite restaurant, get all dressed up, and have a dinner date complete with flowers, candy, and sparkling juice.
- On a budget? Have a “house date.” Dress up yourselves and the dining room table with a the fancy dishes and ask Mom to join in on the fun by serving dinner! Make a cake or cupcakes with a princess theme and spend the night twirling and dancing to Disney princess tunes.
For the Sporty Girl
Has your daughter outgrown her inner princess and traded her wand for a soccer ball? You can still have a blast together with a sport’s theme!
- Take your sporty girl on a date to a local hockey or basketball game. Combine it with a trip to a sports-themed restaurant like Medieval Times or Quaker Steak and Lube and you’re golden.
- Budget option: Stay in and watch a game on television. Pop some popcorn, wear your favorite team’s jersey, and have a ball yelling at the T.V.
Drama Queen Date Night
Does your little girl love the theater? Creating a daddy-daughter date with a drama-inspired theme is a snap.
- Purchase tickets for a movie, play, or show. Want to splurge on dinner? Check for age-appropriate dinner theater tickets. The best of both worlds!
- Budget idea: Rent a couple of DVDs, order your favorite takeout, and settle in for the night. Bonus points for Dad if the DVDs are musicals and he sings along with the movie!
The Great Outdoors
Does your baby girl love exploring the great outdoors? If you’re lucky to live in a warmer climate or stuck inside thanks to a cold climate, a date with an outdoor theme is budget-friendly and fun.
- Plan a hike at the local park. Bring a picnic basket filled with her favorites and enjoy the majestic scenery. Bonus points for bringing a pair of binoculars to look at the local wildlife. If snow is in the forecast, head up to your favorite mountain for a little father-daughter skiing, while you leave the rest of the family at home,
- Indoor option: create a carpet picnic and watch outdoor-themed shows on the tele. Don’t discount blanket tents and forts for added ambiance — they create instant magic!