Little Farmer Take Over at Kelsey Creek Farm
I try to do a lot of activities that both Dek and I can enjoy together. Every once in a while I give the kid a break and find something that I know he will love and I may not be as into. Ok, that’s not true. I do love seeing my boy explore new places and have a great time doing it. I guess no matter what we do I enjoy myself.
I was delighted when Farmer Jayne at Kelsey Creek Farm in Bellevue, WA invited Dek and I over for a little farm exploration and fun. We were part of a small group of local bloggers getting a taste of what the Kelsey Creek Farm had to offer toddlers. I was equally excited to finally get to meet fellow blogger Terumi at Emerald City Kids.
When we arrived Farmer Jayne had craft tables set up for the kids to decorate horse shoes. Dek still hasn’t show much interest in arts and crafts yet (horrors to two art school parents!) but was thrilled to dive into the bins of farm animal and tractor toys. Once everyone had arrived we gathered on the carpet for a little chat about the animals we would be seeing that morning. Farmer Jayne explained how we needed to be gentle when touching any of the animals, to listen to her for instructions, and to clean our hands often with sanitizer so we would not spread germs between the animals and ourselves. All good things for excited toddlers and moms to know.
We tried our hand at feeding chickens, got to pet a very cute bunny rabbit and got to take a ride on a pony. The highlight of the day for Dek and many of the kids was raking up the barn stalls though. They were able to use tiny pails to bring sawdust into the clean stalls and spread it around. Dek was beyond excited by this activity. He loves to sweep and rake. I could barely drag him away for his chance on the pony. He didn’t care. He just wanted to keep scooping up the sawdust.
I might not have been as excited about spreading around sawdust but seeing Dek’s face light up with each new experience on the farm was unforgettable. We chatted about it all the way home. He couldn’t wait to tell his dad all about his day. I couldn’t wait to see how quickly Dek would fall asleep for his nap after such an exciting morning.
Know Before You Go
- Kelsey Creek Farm, 410 130 Pl SE, Bellevue, WA 98008
- Contact: Farmer Jayne 425-452-7688 or FarmerJayne@aol.com.
- This is not a petting zoo. You must be part of a tour or one of the farm classes to interact with the animals.
- Tours start at $85 for 15 participants.
- Class activities may include animal care, feeding, barn chores, pony rides, baking and gardening, stories, games, and arts and crafts. Sessions meet 3 or 4 times during one month. Class costs vary. Check the website or contact Farmer Jayne for more details.
- Little Farmers Class is for children ages 2 to 3 and lasts 1.5 hours
- Farm Explorers Class is for children ages 3 to 6 years old and lasts 2.5 hours
Disclaimer: I was invited by Farmer Jayne to participate in a group tour of the farm. As always all opinions are my own.