Best Maryland Summer Events to Explore in Annapolis with Kids
Sometimes you just have to escape the city heat in Washington, D.C. and head to the Chesapeake Bay. There is no better place to eat great food, do a little shopping, see the historic colonial sites of Maryland and enjoy summer sun on the water than Annapolis, MD. After all, there is no end to what to do in Annapolis with kids in the summer time.
Don’t know where to start when you head to Annapolis with kids? We’ve got a few ideas, including summer-long, annual events, July 4th entertainment and hotels to crash in when you just can’t stand the thought of only spending a day in the state’s capital.
Summer events in Annapolis with kids
There are loads of annual events and activities all summer long that you don’t want to miss, including:
- Annapolis Arts and Wine Festival (June)
- Annapolis Irish Festival (June)
- Annapolis Leukemia Cup (June)
- Bands in the Sand (June)
- Wednesday Night Sailboat Races (June through August)
- First Sunday Arts Festival (Firsy Sunday of July, August and September)
- Rotary Club of Annapolis Crab Feast (August)
- Kegs and Corks Craft Beer and MD Wine Festival (August)
- Annapolis Art Walk (August)
- Maryland Renaissance Festival (August through October)
NOTE: Check website for exact dates and time as they do change from year to year
While many of these events are kid friendly, you don’t actually have to take the kids with you. Enjoy a cold brew or a glass of wine with your loved one. You deserve a night out on the bay.
Celebrate Fourth of July in Annapolis
And of course, you can’t celebrate the Fourth of July in the state capital without an all out extravaganza, which includes fireworks, a Naval Academy Band concert and parade. The streets will be a madhouse, so park your car at your hotel and plan on walking as much as possible to the city’s numerous events. If you have children with you, bring that small, fold-up umbrella stroller for when those little legs get tired.
Annapolis Fireworks at home
In the city of Annapolis, you can legally use sparklers, fountains, crackle and strobe, wheels, spinners and certain novelty fireworks for personal use to celebrate the July 4th holiday.
Please remember that it is illegal to cross state lines and import fireworks for backyard celebrations. Hefty fines will be given out to anyone caught setting off illegal fireworks, which can include up to $250,000 and 25 years in prison for larger fireworks. Each Maryland county has its own fireworks laws, when it comes to smaller fireworks, so do your research before you use any “legal” fireworks at home.
Perfect Family Annapolis Hotels
Annapolis is a great day trip from Washington, D.C. with kids, but it can easily be a weekend getaway too. Book a hotel, spend a few days exploring the Chesapeake Bay and dive into what makes this state capital so great. No need to do a crazy amount of research. We already did it for you!
- Loews Hotel Annapolis, 126 West St, Annapolis, MD 21401
- Westin Annapolis, 100 Westgate Cir, Annapolis, MD 21401
- Historic Inns of Annapolis, across historic downtown Annapolis.
- Country Inn and Suites, 2600 Housley Rd, Annapolis, MD 21401. Farther from historic, downtown Annapolis, but at a more affordable rate for families on a budget.
Annapolis Harbor via ShutterStock.com