I am not a professional packer. I generally pack more than necessary for a trip and always forget something at home. I am the woman who is scrambling the night before, and snipping at her husband and kids while I make a mad dash for the washing machine to get one more load done that we have to pack.
I should be a packing list pro, but I’m not. If I was I wouldn’t be so crazy.
It is all in my head what we need, which is probably why something is always forgotten. What’s a trip without a scramble to find deodorant in a foreign country? It’s what makes life fun.
I do have a few must-haves I can’t leave the house without.
- Passport and Visa (if applicable)
- Cash in case of emergency
- 1 ATM card + 1 credit card
- Baby (if applicable)
- One pair of undies: I have lost my luggage before. It’s not pretty.
- Extra t-shirt: kids can get messy on planes, luggage can get lost
- iPhone with movies loaded on it
- Camera bag
Just in case you have aspirations to be a packing pro, which I actually do have, here are a few lists from fellow travelers that have it much more together than me when it comes to getting a suitcase out the door.
- Packing Tips for Procrastinators by Walking On Travels
- Pack Like A Pro by Flashpacker Family
- Airplane Carry On Packing List by The Vacation Gals
- A Travel Packing List Secret: Multi-Use Items by Around the World “L”
- 60 Travel Packing Tips from the Experts by Travel Fashion Girl
- Packing Light- What to Pack for Vacation by Culture Travel Guide
- How to Pack Light by Travelista
- Family travel tips: How to pack only carry-on bags for air travel by Mother of All Trips
- 34 Great Packing Tips for a Long Haul Flight with Kids by The Barefoot Nomad
- Vacation Packing List by Tips for Family Trips
- Packing Lists for Babies, Toddlers and Kids by Travel Mamas
- The Mother of All Packing Lists by Have Baby Will Travel
- Bicycle Touring Packing List by Family on Bikes
Long Term Travel
- Packing List for a Nomad Family by Bohemian Travelers
- Adventures in Carry On Only Travel: A Woman’s Packing List by Ever in Transit
- Adventures in Carry On Only Travel: Men’s Packing List by Ever in Transit
- What’s in My Backpack: Iceland and Europe by A Dangerous Business
- Packing Your Suitcase for Santa Fe Weather by Santa Fe Travelers