Eating Healthy While on the Road and Pregnant
It can be really tricky eating while you are pregnant. I’m not talking about hitting a restaurant and placing an order. There are usually plenty of choices for pregnant women. I’m talking about a road trip, drive to see the family or a day trip to the beach when you have to pack your own food. Even a plane ride can prove a challenge when you need to get some nourishment.
More than that pregnant women tend to need to eat often. If you are like me, then you need to eat every two hours. Snacks are great, but I need to make sure I get protein and some carbs in me real quick when my blood sugar levels start to drop.According to many OB/GYNs in the U.S. deli meats are a big no-no when pregnant. Well that kind of cuts out a turkey sandwich on rye thrown into a cooler first thing in the morning doesn’t it?
Here are a few easy (and healthy) solutions to the bottomless pit your stomach has become. With just a small cooler your options open up and you can have all you need for a day out.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly – by far my go to food this pregnancy
- Variations: PB with Nutella and bananas, PB with sliced apples, almond butter and cranberry sauce
- Alternates to peanut butter: Almond Butter and No Nut Butter
- Sliced cheese and tomato
- Cucumber with cream cheese
- Hummus and cucumber slices
- BLTA (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Avocado)- keep the ingredients separate if you don’t like a soggy sandwich
- Quinoa salad
- Pasta Salad
- Bananas, Apples, tiny oranges, berries, pears, etc.
- Frozen Grapes
- Fruit squeeze packs (yup, like babies and toddlers eat) and fruit cups
- Dried fruits and fruit leather
- Yogurt (don’t forget a spoon!)- add fresh fruit and granola for extra oomph
- Cheese sticks
- Pretzels and Popcorn
- Dry cereal, granola and cereal bars
- Trail mix
What are some of your favorite snacks to take on the road?
For more pregnancy fun, head on over to the Pregnant Travels.