We all worry. As parents, it’s a pretty natural state of existence. We want our kids to grow up healthy and strong, do well in school and have good friends that don’t lead them astray. The same goes when we travel. One of the first things people ask me about when I tell them we travel with kids is how do we enjoy safe travels and avoid disasters.
Well, the simple answer is, you can’t avoid mishaps and accidents no matter where you are in the world. We have had more bumps, cuts and bruises at home than anywhere else. It’s just part of raising kids.
Unless you plan on wrapping your kids in bubble wrap (I don’t advise this!), you can’t stop them from hurting themselves. Kids will also pick stuff off of the ground and stick it into their mouths. They are kids. This is what they do.
What you can do is educate yourself and stock up on the tools that will help you in the event of an emergency. This is what safe travels is really all about.
Multi-trip Insurance is Your First Step
The first step to traveling safely is to buy a multi-trip travel insurance plan. This is a no-brainer if you take more than one trip per year. Even if you only travel domestically, these plans are worth it.
Did you know that if you break your leg on a winter ski vacation, your health insurance will not buy you a plane ticket home? Chances are, that economy ticket you have won’t cut it either. You will need a first class or a business class ticket for that leg. Say good-bye to a few grand for that last-minute airplane ticket. The airline will have no sympathy for your broken leg.
You know who would? Travel insurance. Your policy would have taken care of that plane ticket home for you. Do I have a policy? Yes, I’ve had a multi-trip policy for my entire family for the past three years.
Which brings us to our next travel safety step– downloading the TravelSmart app by Allianz Travel.
ALLIANZ TRAVELSMART APP
Allianz, an international travel insurance company, has been quietly taking care of travelers for decades.
Yes, you all know them as that add-on flight protection insurance you grab from one of those online booking engines, like Expedia or Travelocity. But they are so much more than that. They are a travel companion on your journey across the globe.
The Allianz TravelSmart app is where this really comes across, and where they have been stepping up their game. Even if you aren’t a customer, you can use this app to get emergency information right at your finger tips. While many of the features do require data or Wi-Fi access, a number of features can be accessed offline.
What’s included in your TravelSmart App?
- Flight status updates in real time, plus boarding gate information.
- Local emergency numbers: find the police, fire, and ambulance numbers for the country you are in (accessible whether you have data access on your phone or not).
- Assistance Around Me: Find doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, police stations, and U.S. embassies within 10km of your location (when your enable your Apple or Google maps. Data usage rates do apply) with turn-by-turn directions. Check marks next to hospitals mean that these facilities are recommended by Allianz Travel.
- First-Aid translations: 60+ first aid terms translated from English to 18 common foreign languages (more languages being added).
- Medication translator: If you need to fill an emergency prescription overseas, the TravelSmart app gives you the universal name for more than 750 common medications. I’ve had to use this in a pinch when I ran out of migraine medication in Europe. It was a lifesaver!
What if you have an Allianz Travel Insurance Policy?
For those with an Allianz Travel policy, you get even more help direct from your phone. Add in your policy information, and you have access to it 24/7.
If the worst should happen, and you must be rushed to the hospital while you are out and about on vacation, you don’t have to worry about rushing back to your hotel for any paperwork or searching through emails. Your policy information, as well as access to customer service, is right in your app.
- TravelSmart Hotline: Get emergency help and find the medical professionals you need quickly.
- Allianz customer assistance: Chat with a claim specialist right away.
- Policy Management: File a claim, update documents and track its progress all from your phone.
Don’t have a policy? Check out your options here.
Why do you need a Travel Safe App?
I don’t know about you, but I have a lot of apps on my phone. So many that I’m not sure what some are at this point. The last thing I need is more travel apps.
That’s the beauty of the Allianz TravelSmart App. I now have six apps in one. No more medical translators, insurance app, U.S. embassy locator, medical assistance locator, flight updates, or fumbling through Google in another country to find the local emergency numbers. The last thing I need to be doing is trying to figure out how to call the police when I’ve got an injured kid in my arms.
I love technology, and if a company like Allianz wants to make my life easier with a FREE travel app, who am I to argue.
It’s time to travel safer with your kids. You have nothing to lose, except peace of mind if you don’t.
This post is part of a paid partnership with Allianz Travel Insurance. I am also a paying customer of Allianz and use the TravelSmart app when we travel. As always, my opinions are my own. When they aren’t you will be the first to know.
Lost woman and anxious mom via Shutterstock.com